Founded in 1897, Country Club of Detroit is dedicated to providing its members an outstanding membership experience featuring superior service and premier facilities, enriched by distinctive social events and family activities.
On October 18, 1897, the County Club of Detroit was incorporated. The Club leased property located at Fisher Road and Jefferson and additional land across Jefferson for golf course use.
In 1905, members voted to buy the lakefront grounds and build a new clubhouse. The new Albert Kahn four story clubhouse opened on May 30, 1907.
The Club was growing quickly- one year after the new clubhouse opened the membership grew to 536. Grosse Pointe was expanding too. As demand for land rose, it became clear that the Club must own its golf course or run the risk of losing it. In 1912, the Club purchased the Weir Farm. British golf architect Harry Colt was hired to design a golf course on the former Weir Farm, which the Club called the upper property.
In 1915 the club hosted the 1915 National Amateur. The winner that year was a new champion from Chicago, Robert A. Gardner.
In 1921 the members voted to build a new clubhouse on the upper property and sell the lakefront property. The beautiful lakefront clubhouse closed at midnight on June 10, 1923. On July 4, 1923 the new Albert Kahn clubhouse opened its doors to the membership.
Members had just two years to use their magnificent clubhouse. At 3:45 am on Sunday, October 18, 1925, fire broke out above the second floor and spread through all of the building except the kitchen wing.
During the rebuilding of the Clubhouse the members purchased the Hall estate. The firm of Colt & Alison redesigned the course, while summer play continued on the current course. The golf course welcomed its first round on September 3, 1927.
In 1952, Robert Trent Jones, Sr. was hired to redesign the course to bring it up to championship standards. As a tribute to his work, the 1954 U.S. Amateur Championship was held at the Club and won by a young Arnold Palmer, launching his illustrious career.
In 1964, the Board approved construction of our short course, to be designed by Mr. Robert Trent Jones, Sr., which opened in 1966.
In 1996 Robert Trent Jones, Jr. was commissioned to redesign and reconstruct the greens, bunkers, tees and practice areas. New irrigation and drainage was installed in the same time span.
This course challenged members and guests alike and is a sought-after venue for many outings, including the 2004 Turning Point Invitational, which brought 30 past U.S. Amateur Champions together to compete on our course, including Arnold Palmer (pictured).
On June 24, 2011 we celebrated the re-opening of our Championship Golf Course. The course has returned to the Colt and Alison design with an updated interpretation by one of today's leading golf architects, Tom Doak, and his firm, Renaissance Golf Design. It will provide a venue that will challenge and satisfy golfers of all skill levels for years to come.
Country Club of Detroit approved the Long Range Plan that included the addition of the Summer Village, Fitness Center and Bowling Center, which were built over the following three years.